The National Band Association’s NBA Journal is the official publication of the association. Published four times a year, the journal disseminates articles of interest to band directors at all levels, with a focus on current models and techniques in wind and percussion pedagogy, literature, and research. National Band Association members are encouraged to contribute articles to this journal. The NBA Journal appears in online pdf format in the Fall and Spring, with hard-copy distribution occurring for the Summer and Winter issues. The Fall issue also appears in the October issue of The Instrumentalist.
Peer Reviewed Research Articles: Within the hard-copy issues, a portion of the Journal is dedicated to peer reviewed research articles. These articles aim to utilize current research techniques to explore areas of interest to band directors at all levels, with a focus on best practices in rehearsal techniques, wind and percussion pedagogy, and literature. The purpose of these articles is to present current research in a straightforward and readable fashion. Authors are encouraged to submit practical applications of their research for everyday band directors to use. See below for more Research Article submission information.
Non Research Articles: All Journal article submissions go to the NBA Journal editor, Dr. Matthew Talbert.
NBA Members have access to a pdf archive of past publications.
About the Research Articles
Articles are now being accepted for the Peer Review Section of the NBA Journal. Submissions should be sent to Dr. Matthew Talbert.
Guidelines for Submission
- Submission Method: Manuscripts should be submitted as Microsoft Word attachments via email to the Editorial Committee Chair.
- Length: The manuscript should not exceed 25 pages and should include an abstract of 100-150 words in length on a separate page. We encourage the submission of short form articles (4-10 pages) as well as full-length reports.
- Cover Page: To ensure anonymity in the review process, the manuscript should contain no clues as to the author’s institutional affiliation or identity. Author’s name(s), address, institution affiliations and pertinent information should be listed on a separate cover page at the beginning of the submission. The cover page should also include up to five key words/phrases that describe the contents of the manuscript.
- Style Guide: Manuscripts should conform to one of the following style manuals: Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association (7th edition, 2019), The Chicago Manual of Style (17th edition, 2017), or A Manual for Writers of Term Papers, Theses, and Dissertations (K. L. Turabian, 9th edition, revised by Wayne C. Booth, Gregory Colomb, Joseph M. Williams, and the University of Chicago Press Editorial Staff, 2018). Note: Authors may not combine/mix styles within a single manuscript.
- Tables and Figures: Tables and figures may be included with the manuscript, however, these must be publishable in black and white. It is the author’s responsibility to make sure any tables/figures are checked for accuracy before submission. Additionally, if any copyrighted materials are submitted, it is the author’s responsibility to provide documentation allowing the reproduction of these materials.
- Ethical Requirements: It is the author’s responsibility to ensure that no copyright issues have been violated by the submission, including images, charts, etc. Manuscripts already published in other journals should not be submitted for consideration in The NBA Journal.